Friday, August 19, 2005

I did it!!! I put down the deposit on the condo today!

And now I'm sick to my stomach. Seriously. I have logged more bathroom time today than in the past week total. I am a nervous wreck over this move. See, here's the deal. We live in a close to 3000 sq. ft. 4 bedroom, 3 bath house in a middle class neighborhood. It's worth about $700,000---LOW in an area where all new construction is a million plus. We'd always planned on staying here until retirement, then sell and use the equity to pay cash for a smaller home and not have to make mortgage payments after retirement. The glitch is this--it is no longer possible to do that here! The median price of a resale home is over $600,000 and as stated earlier, new construction is a million plus. And what you get for $600,000 is an 1100 sq. ft. starter home in a less than desirable neighborhood. And that's putting it nicely. So a couple of weeks ago we went up the the Village Green in the next town north of here and while walking around, I said, "gee, I could live in a place like this". And it just snowballed from there. The condos are in a very hip, kinda upscale area called the Town Green Village. It is built to resemble a European or Early American town, built around a park with the condos built over shops. There is an Irish Pub there and some really nice wine country restaurants. It looks almost like something you'd find in Aspen or Telluride. See the pics above of parts of the area. Our condo is not pictured because it's not finished. But it gives you a general idea of what the area looks like. The condos themselves are very cool and very large with an almost Loft type look----no walls downstairs and high ceilings. It's around 2100 sq. ft--3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths and a great kitchen. Almost as nice as the one we put in here when we remodeled. The downside is no backyard, just a large deck and a smaller garage than we have here, 1 less bedroom and a much smaller family room. It is going to be a HUGE transition. I also won't have my pool OR my home gym (which I just finished re-doing a couple of weeks ago!) I know this is very lengthy and I hate to go on and on, but I am scared shitless of doing the wrong thing. I don't know if I'm gonna regret it or if we didn't move, if I'd regret THAT. Please excuse my rambling! It's gonna be a long sleepless night!

1 comment:

Scarlett O'Hara said...

do you think you lost any weight in the bathroom?? hehehe....

congrats!