Friday, November 11, 2005

Flashback Friday--for you, Jan!

Jan's flashback of bugs in Australia, led me to think about bugs in Texas. Giant bugs in Lubbock, Texas. I arrived there in the spring of '73 with my 6 month old daughter. Her dad was briefly a long-haul trucker and on one of his excursions fell in love with Lubbock (????) and decided to stay there. He called me up and told me to meet him there. I was in Sacramento at the time. So, off we flew to Texas, baby and me and all baby accoutrements. We moved into the bottom of a triplex and our first night there was a nightmare. I opened up the cabinet under the kitchen sink and it was filled with GIANT cockroaches. Tons of them, big giant Texas sized cockroaches. OMG. We lived in that place for 6 months and I never got used to them and it was impossible to get rid of them. At night, if the baby woke up, I'd have to empty my slippers of cockroaches to walk over to the light switch. As soon as you flipped on the lights, hundreds of cockroaches would slip under the baseboards. Sometimes you'd wake up at night because a cockroach was walking across your pillow. Then there was the day, when Brandy was about 8 months old and I couldn't find her. I looked EVERYWHERE and she seemed to have vanished into thin air. All of a sudden I hear a giggle and a "nummy-nummy" from behind the radiator. There she was, happy as all get out, polishing off the last of a giant cockroach! Its legs were literally hanging out of her mouth and she just kept going ,"nummy, nummy" the whole time. I will leave the story of the 17 year locusts for next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Chris----I have been hungry all day long....reading this story sure took care of that! Don't know how I will choke down dinner tonight, ---meeting a friend at the Nutty Irishman! Hope all is well, kinda taking it "easy" this week....hoping to be rewarded with a loss.....

Hope all is well on the eastside!

xoxo
Tina

Scarlett O'Hara said...

Fuck Me!!! no way!! screw that! i would never have moved into a place with cockroaches!!! we had those sewer ones coming up our shower here last year and i made Rob put another sink thingy down the hole so they can't come up anymore. still freaks me out!!

I DON'T DO BUGS!