Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Shut up, already!!

I don't know what's going on over on the NS bulletin board. There is so much misinformation! Newbies helping newbies----it's like the blind leading the blind! And it's not their fault. Most oldies are over at Jazzman's BB, so there are not all the people to answer questions like there were a year ago. I cringe when I read some of the replies to posts. Like when somebody asked if they could have asparagus and someone else replied yes---just watch the amount. Whaaaa? Watch the amount??? WHY?? Have as many fucking asparagus as you like, folks! It's not gonna make you fat! Neither is broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, green beans OR EVEN peas and corn. Yes, I know they're carbs, but who the hell ever got fat eating peas and corn, honestly? I mean, come on have you ever heard anyone say, "I never should have had that last 1/2 cup of peas cause now I can't fit into my jeans"? It's the Big Macs and fries that make you fat. It the senseless stuffing of your body with chocolate donuts and Kit-Kat bars. It's the BAGS of Doritos and potato chips. I swear, people, it is NOT asparagus!
And medical advice!! OMG! Why would you ask a bunch of strangers for medical advice? Generalizations, maybe, but asking for specific medical advice or GIVING specific medical advice is nuts. I don't care if you ARE a professional--if you don't have access to someone's medical history, why would you give them specific advice?
I don't even give SPECIFIC exercise advice unless I know someone's medical history. Here's a personal example: If I were to ask medical advice or even exercise advice and didn't let anyone know that I have a history of 4 strokes, I would probably receive a lot of advice that would be detrimental to my health. If I were to follow some of that inappropriate advice, I could DIE. I don't know if that's a good example or not. But it's true. So here's my best medical advice---ASK YOUR DOCTOR.
I guess what I'm trying to say here, is take it all with a grain of salt. If you really need an answer to something and what you're reading on the board is confusing or you get 5 different answers to the same question, do a search on Yahoo or Google it or Ask Jeeves for God's sake. Then choose a website that you know is reliable. www.discoveryhealth.com is a really good one-
Or here's a thought....CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

"Do a search on Yahoo or Google it or Ask Jeeves for God's sake." Hahaha, that came out just right. Do you yahoo? If not, where do you want to go today? (old slogans from yahoo and microsoft respectively.) Have a good day,

Melissa2

Shirley said...

I am also disturbed by the dispensing of medical advice. I'm not as concerned by advice from random strangers as I am by advice from people who present themselves as healthcare professionals. I wonder about the liability issue if a health care professional gives you advice and it turns out badly.

Here, have another spoonful of corn, you'll feel better!

Scarlett O'Hara said...

LOL..i LOVE THIS POST, CHRIS!!!!

you had me at "shut up, already!"

hehehe....

Amy said...

AMEN SISTER! I agree 100%!!!

Does that mean I can have all the corn I want tonight though??? LOL, just kidding.

Amy

Honey said...

Boy, it's almost scary over there!!

And if you're reading this...get to work! LOL

Anonymous said...

A true professional healthcare provider, at any level - physician, nurse, pharmacist, etc., knows how dangerous it is to give medical information to somebody you have not personally examined. Too many variables, too many risks, too many margins for error. So, the true professional will not, and does not do it.

The wannabe's do it. The one's with just enough education to make them dangerous do it. And, it usually shows in their inaccurate assessment of the situation, and advice. Some of it risky, some of it dangerous.

Anonymous said...

You are toooo funny! I mean that in a good way~ I read the bad advice over and over too. It's frustrating when we try to help with physiologically based evidence only to be ignored for Miss Know Nothing's answer. So you were into body building too, huh? I won second place at the Eastern Seaboard Women's and Couples competition back in the early 80s...my claim to fame. Right after that I came down with the chicken pox (age 33) and that went all to hell. Hey...you are probably thinking that if I want to tell all this, I should get my own blog! Anyway....love reading your fitness advice over at the NS BB.

Rebecca said...

AMEN!

You know, I wrote an entire entry on my blog about people dispensing medical advice on the boards, and then I deleted it because I thought it sounded too harsh. I should have left it in! Watching that is probably as painful to the medical professionals as it is for me to watch people dole out legal advice. Um, yeah, that's why attorneys and doctors/nurses/etc have to be LICENSED, people! God, and with medicine, there's even more at stake...

BTW, I totally got fat eating asparagus. Deep-fried asparagus milk chocolate fondue. Damn straight!

PS - Love the language! I thought I was bad for writing "bullshit," but now I feel like an amateur. YEAH! WOOOOOOOOO!